Full Time Faculty
Xun Michael Chi is an Associate Professor of Visual Communication at LCAD, a photographer, an international curator and the rotating Chair of the Association of Chinese Artists in American Academia. He holds an MFA from Purdue University, where his design works achieved nationwide academic recognition. He also has a medical degree from Tianjin Medical University in China. Chi has been a full-time faculty at LCAD since 2007 and has taught a broad range of courses including graphic design, composition and color theory, 3D animation, motion graphics, and photography.
Besides teaching, Xun’s passion is in photography. His photography works have been featured in magazines and galleries worldwide including Juxtapoz, Harper’s Bazaar China, Elle UK, Vogue, etc. In 2016, he held a solo exhibition in the Contemporary Art Museum of Ningbo, China.
Xun curates exhibitions where his passion for photography and design can meet. In 2016, Xun won the Excellent Curator Award in Pingyao International Photography Festival.
Exhibitions he has curated including:
- “Chopsticks and Forks” international design exhibition LCAD, 2012;
- “American Contemporary Portrait Photography Exhibition”, China, 2016;
- “Words in Characters, Books as Vehicle”, Stanford University 2017 (as executive curator) ;
- “President Nixon’s Legacy in Three Chinese Cities” Photo Exhibition, Nixon Presidential Library, 2018;
- “Separation and Reconstruction of Reality - International Creative Photography Exhibition” in China International Photographic Art Festival, 2018
Xun has been invited to give talks and workshops in some top universities and organizations including Beijing University, China Central Academy of Fine Arts, Tongji University, CAA, AIGA, LA LIVING TV show, etc. He is the editor and co-author of a book “Fusion + Evolution - Teaching and Learning of Design in American and Chinese Academia”. In 2018, Xun won the Best Advisor Award in “The Beauty of Chinese Characters” Global Youth Design Contest 2018.