Drawing and Painting w/Illustration Emphasis
BIG SKILLS + BIG STATEMENT
The Drawing + Painting with Illustration Emphasis zeroes in on the art world found at the intersection of fine arts and illustration to prepare you to work in both traditional and mixed media arts. The program’s curriculum will hone imaginative narratives with design-based aesthetics for commercial and non-commercial pursuits.
Students in this emphasis will take advantage of the same representational, skill based development of the Drawing and Painting major. Students will gain experience in exhibition, branding, and entrepreneurial skills that will help them to succeed as independent artists working in visual styles that reflect Imaginative Realism, Pop Surrealism, and Mural Arts. Students will have the opportunity to develop as mural artists and learn how to present their work and contributions to city planners, urban developers, and private owners who bring artistic works to large, public audiences on shared visual spaces.
Classes will consist of narrative and concept development, mixed media, taking work to print, mural arts, and artist branding. Professional practices will cover galleries, publications, and organizations that specialize in applied works.
Students entering senior year are provided a private studio space to work for the entirety of their final year, where they are mentored individually and engage in critical discourse with their peers and distinguished guests.
Our Fine Arts faculty is composed of nationally and internationally recognized artists who are invested in mentoring their students to enter the diverse world of visual arts.
ALUMNI GALLERY REPRESENTATION + PROFESSIONAL PARTNERSHIPS
- Abend Gallery
- Arcadia Contemporary
- Art Miami
- Art Renewal Center
- Beautiful Bizarre Art Prize
- Copro Gallery
- Dawson Cole Fine Art
- Jim Henson Creature Shop
- LA Art Show
- Laguna Art Museum
- Manifest Gallery
- MEAM Museum
- National Sculpture Society
- Poets + Artists
- Portrait Society of America
- Salmagundi Club
- Sideshow Collectibles
- Spectral Motion
- Sue Greenwood Fine Art
- Sullivan Goss Gallery
- Execute a complex understanding of a broad range of materials and techniques
- Implement technical knowledge as it pertains to historical and contemporary studio art practices.
- Experiment within a varied knowledge-base and flexible practice-based approach to the artistry of Illustration and contemporary painting.
- Synthesize through practice, problem defining and problem solving while drawing from an array of external sources.
- Communicate depth of understanding of one’s artistic practice and its historical context in written and verbal forms.
- Articulate an understanding of present-day professional standards in their chosen media and in the larger intersecting fields of applied arts.
CHAIR OF DRAWING + PAINTING
Hope Railey is a passionate and driven fine artist and teacher who has dedicate the last 20 years to painting in the studio and teaching future generations of artists. Hope has exhibited throughout the country and was most recently featured in December 2021 issue of Fine Art Connoisseur Magazine, is an Associate Professor, and currently serves as chair of the Fine Arts department since 2011. She is a regional juror for the AXA Art Prize and has served on artist panels at the 2021 LPAPA Invitational.
ADJUNCT FACULTY, FOUNDATIONS COORDINATOR